Lemon is a curious fruit. It is light and refreshing and it seems to scream summer. Yet it is a winter fruit. It just doesn't seem to fit. Even in this temperate environment, I still crave fresh lemon in the summertime. Especially lemon with any sort of cream.
I made this ice cream some time ago, but really did enjoy the flavor. It is light, refreshing and the almond plus goat milk adds a unique twist to the ice cream. It can be enjoyed on its own or accompany any sort of dessert. When I first made this it accompanied an olive oil cake with figs. My ice cream love can't be chilled with the cooler fall weather rolling in and I may have cured Isaiah after grossing him out with eyeballs for dessert.
Lemon Goat Yogurt Ice Cream
- 1 cups cream
- 1 cup goat yogurt
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 TB cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- zest from one lemon
- 6-7 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Combine milk, egg yolks, cornstarch, salt and sugar in a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Add cold cream, and mix well.
- Add lemon juice, zest, goat yogurt and almond extract. Mix until well blended.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 6 hours or even better overnight.
- Churn in an ice cream machine.