Thursday, March 29, 2012
Today I bring a super cute and super easy Easter treat. Please forgive the ipad photo...
To make this you need:
1. Puff pastry, crescent roll dough or rough puff pastry dough. The picture uses crescent roll dough.
2. 1 egg + 2 TB milk whisked with a good amount of orange gel food color (about 1/2 t)
3. Filling of your choice - these are filled with a basic chocolate mousse.
4. Green bunny peeps.
5. Cream horn molds (available online or at well stocked cooking stores)
1. Cut your dough into 1/4 inch strips (more or less, don't need to be exact). Start at the bottom and wrap your dough around the cream horn mold. Pull as you wrap so it is fairly thin. If using puff pastry you will want to roll it thin to start with as it is less stretchy.
2. Brush generously with orange colored egg wash.
3. Bake at 350 for 8-12 minutes until just starting to brown.
4. Cool slightly and remove from cream horn molds. Cool completely on racks
5. Fill with your favorite filling (see recipe below).
6. Cut the head off of green bunny peeps and cut in half lengthwise (so they are half as thick). You can skip the second step if you want, but i liked the thinner peep and the fact it allowed me to use less of them.
7. Stick in filling and voila.
I got about 12 creamhorns per crescent roll package. The package says it makes 8 rolls.
For the filling I used an easy chocolate mousse. For this you should fill right before serving.
12 oz. chocolate chips
1/2 plus 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
Place chocolate chips in heat proof bowl. Heat 1/2 cup of cream until scalding. Pour over chocolate chips and stir until melted and well combined. If need be you can warm a bit in the microwave in 15 second spurts or over a double boiler to help it along. Set aside. Whip remaining cream. Mix in about a half cup of whipped cream, then fold in the rest of the whipped cream. Use immediately.
You can also fill with strawberries and cream, mango mousse, carrot cheesecake filling, ice cream. Use your imagination.